A Dream Dress for Every Body
When young girls and (okay, who are we kidding?) women of all ages dream of their wedding day, they picture themselves looking absolutely gorgeous in the perfect gown, with perfect face and hair, and of course, a perfect body. But for many brides, selecting a gown can be daunting because, let’s face it, nearly every one of us struggles with some kind of body issue. Girls today are bombarded with messages about their bodies, and brides are certainly not immune to those same labels: too short, too tall, too skinny, too fat, too busty, too flat, too curvy, too straight…the list goes on and on.
After helping hundreds of brides each find her perfect gown, the stylists at Meg Guess Couture have come up with some tips that will help any bride squash those negative messages and feel beautifully flawless on her wedding day. Here are a few practical ideas:
- Know, and embrace, your body shape. Are you pear-shaped (shoulders narrower than hips), apple shaped (wider at the waist), large-busted, lean-and-straight or hour-glass? Are you tall or petite? Are you, like the majority of us, some combination of those characteristics? Whatever you are is beautiful, and your groom has fallen in love with it, so let go of any negative labels and focus on what you love about your body as you get ready to select a gown.
- Know which dress silhouettes can enhance your shape. Check out this cool infographic from www.storymixmedia.com that can help you choose a shape to enhance your beautiful shape:
- Be willing to listen to your bridal consultant—just like our stylists at Meg Guess Couture, they see every type of body in every type of dress and can help you find the perfect gown for you. Be willing to try silhouettes you may not have thought would look good on you. It is a fact that curvy girls can wear fitted and tiny girls can wear ballgowns—you just have to find the right gown and then, get the right fit!
- Speaking of fit….making sure you have your gown altered by an experienced bridal seamstress will help ensure a perfect fit on your body. Altering a wedding gown is unlike other types of alterations, so use in-house alteration services at your bridal boutique or take recommendations from your bridal consultant. It’s also important to allow enough time for alterations and schedule the timing of your alterations appropriately. Take a gown in too soon and then lose weight and your gown won’t be a perfect fit. Most gowns will require 3-5 alterations appointments, so talk to your seamstress and take her recommendations for the perfect timeline based on your needs.
- Invest in the proper undergarments! Many wedding gowns are already constructed with boning, built-in-bras or bust cups, and other interior elements that help create the perfect fit. However, some brides find they like the fit of their gowns even more when they purchase a bra or shaper that fits perfectly. If you think you might need additional undergarments, purchase these and bring them to each alteration appointment. Know that some additions can be sewn into your gown during alterations, so again, talk to your seamstress about your options.
Every bride deserves to look and feel not just beautiful, but perfect, on her wedding day, so if you have other questions about finding the perfect gown, don’t hesitate to contact the experienced team at Meg Guess Couture.
By: Shannon Davis- Stylist at Meg Guess Couture